Handbook for Library Trustees of New York State
CCLS Trustee Basics Training (Webinar 2/4/21)
What Every Trustee Should Know (DLD Webinar)
Division of Library Development
DLD Information for Library Trustees
Information on Open Meetings Law
NYS Committee on Open Government
Library Trustee Association Section of NYLA
Trustee Handbook Book Club
Helping All Library Trustees Succeed (HATS) Webinars
ALA Training shorts
ALA Trustee Academy ($$)
Checklist For Effective Library Trustees
- Be active and informed about library matters in general and of those affecting your library. Ask questions of the director and study the issues.
- Attend all board meetings and be fully prepared to participate knowledgeably.
- Question issues until you understand. Don’t be reluctant to vote no on a proposal you don’t understand or are uncomfortable about.
- Be a team player and treat your fellow board members with respect.
- Support board decisions even if you disagree. A democracy works by the rule of the majority. Seek reconsideration in the future if circumstances change.
- Understand the roles of all involved – the board, director, staff, Friends, patrons, etc.
- Conflicts of interest by any board member are the concern of all members of the board. A trustee or family member may not receive any gain, tangible or intangible, in dealing with the library.
- Advocate for the library in every manner possible.
- Support competitive salaries in order to attract and retain qualified staff.
- Appropriate compensation is a direct measure of the commitment and respect a community has for the institution and its staff.
- Understand and respect the role of the director and support the director’s administrative decisions.
- Always remember that your job is to provide the highest quality library service possible for your community.