Darwin R. Barker Library and Museum Association
Fredonia, New York
Darwin R. Barker Library is charted by NYS Dept. of Education as an association library and is a member of the Chautauqua-Cattaraugus County Library System (CCLS) giving patrons access to an abundance of Library material. As one of the 36 libraries in the CCLS, we offer programs for children, book discussion group and a museum dedicated to local history with archives, two research libraries and rotating exhibits. The library and museum have a wireless network, remote access to OPAC, and public access computers. The Library was established in 1882.
The Village of Fredonia includes a population of 11,000 and is the home of SUNY Fredonia College. It is located about 3 miles from Lake Erie, 25 miles from Chautauqua Institution and halfway between Buffalo, NY and Erie, Pennsylvania.
Darwin R. Barker Library and Museum Association along with the 1891 Fredonia Opera House, is the cultural center of Fredonia. The Darwin R. Library Association was established in 1882 in the historic Darwin R. Barker home. The Association was able to expand into a new building in 1980’s while retaining the attached Barker Home as the DRB Historical Museum. The Association administers the Museum through a curator and curator assistant staff.
The Board of Directors of the Darwin R. Barker Library and Museum Association seeks a creative and energetic director with strong leadership ability to provide quality library service to residents of Fredonia and surrounding communities. The applicant must have a strong vision of how library services will be delivered in the future. Duties include:
- Ability to develop and maintain a professional and productive working relationship with the museum curator that fosters creativity and potential cost savings initiatives that benefit the Association as a whole
- Recruiting and overseeing staff to carry out the library’s mission
- Creating and administering budgets and presenting funding requests
- Writing grants and raising funds
- Developing and sustaining programs and services
- Demonstrating strong cooperative leadership, management and communications skills, especially when working with the Board of Trustees, staff, volunteers and community agencies
- Understanding computer applications for library management
- MLS from an ALA accredited institution
- New York State Public Librarians Professional Certificate
- Five years successful library experience is required
- Commitment to professional development as demonstrated by participating in continuing education opportunities
Required Personal Abilities
- Values the importance of equal access to books, information and culture in a democracy
- Thinks strategically and is well organized with the ability to schedule time effectively and meet deadlines
- Possesses both a broad vision and attention to detail
- Is resourceful, enthusiastic and flexible and has the ability to motivate others
- Treats others with honesty, empathy and respect
- Is open to creative and innovative solutions
- Communicates, clearly in both written and oral form
- Listens well and seeks to understand
Salary & Benefits
Salary range begins at $40,000 and is commensurate with education and experience. A benefit package is included.
How to Apply
Send a letter of interest and resume with 3 references to:
Darwin R. Barker Library, Attention Michelle Twichell
7 Day St.
Fredonia, NY 14063
Or to DRBLMA Secretary Michelle Twichell at: email@example.com
Start date is June 1, 2021
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The successful applicant should be prepared to start the position on June 1, 2021