Located in southwestern New York State, the City of Salamanca’s Public Library Board of Trustees is searching for qualified applicants for provisional appointment to the position of Library Manager. We seek a highly capable, innovative and dynamic manager to lead the library in its mission to provide excellent service to a diverse community. The Salamanca Public library is uniquely located in the heart of the Seneca Nation of Indians Allegany Territory along the beautiful Allegheny River. The City of Salamanca is the “Gateway to Allegany State Park”, New York’s largest State Park. Outdoor recreation can be found in abundance during all seasons within minutes from Salamanca. Our Library serves 6,500 residents and in the past year had circulation of 22,350 library materials and 37,490 physical visits to the Library. We have 29,300 physical items in our collection. Recently the library completed over a quarter of a million dollar renovation extensively updating the facility, including compliance with ADA requirements.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Library Manager serves as head of a library serving a population from 2,500 to 7,499. This position involves responsibility for simple library functions and administrative tasks. The work involves carrying out library policy as determined by the library board and standard practice. Also works with Public Library System Librarians in planning and implementing library services. Direct supervision is exercised over other library personnel. A Library Manager does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
• Selects materials for acquisitions using standard review sources and library system aids;
• Performs simple informational, reference and referral services and directs complex questions to the central library or system;
• Recommends building repairs and alterations;
• Conducts library programs on subjects of community interest.
• Works with system Librarians to evaluate the effectiveness of the library’s services in relation to the changing needs of the community;
• Recommends changes or additions in library services to the board;
• Administers personnel policies established by the board;
• Prepares preliminary budget estimates for the board;
• Represents the library at community and group meetings;
• Recommends and administers public relations programs;
• Administers policies on the purchase and weeding of library materials;
• Attends library system workshops and professional meetings;
• Conducts staff meetings;
• Recommends appointments, promotions and disciplinary actions;
• May administer grants.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL
Working knowledge of library services and procedures;
Working knowledge of library materials and their use;
Ability to use library computer and audio visual equipment;
Ability to carry out library policies and procedures;
Ability to train library staff;
Ability to plan, coordinate, and supervise the work of others;
Ability to exercise leadership and motivate others;
Ability to establish effective working relationships with community organizations;
Ability to express oneself clearly both orally and in writing to groups and individuals;
Skill and accuracy in the performance of technical library tasks;
Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and public.
Permanent appointment requires successful completion, competition and placement thru the Civil Service examination process. Minimum qualifications include:
A. A Master’s Degree in Librarianship or closely related field from a college that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable education practices;
B. A Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or one recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices and two years of full-time or equivalent part-time experience working in a public library.
Please note: The City of Salamanca requires all Department Heads (including the Library Manager) to reside within the City of Salamanca. Candidate must be willing to relocate to Salamanca within nine months of hire date.
* Starting salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications and is consistent with the City of Salamanca salary guidelines.
* The library position offers competitive benefits, including participation in the New York State Employee Retirement System.
APPLICATION FOR LIBRARY MANAGER (PROVISIONAL):
* Send resume with cover letter describing your background and qualifications for this position to our Salamanca Public Library board president, Tim Baird at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Application deadline is Monday, January 21, 2019.
The Salamanca Public Library values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Library-Manager-Salamanca-Public-Library