Westfield, New York
Patterson Library is a privately endowed association library housed in a beautiful and well maintained 100 year old building; it serves 5200 residents and numerous summer visitors. Westfield, in Chautauqua County, is a charming village that is minutes from the shores of Lake Erie, is in proximity to the nationally renowned Chautauqua Institution, and to the town of Fredonia, home of SUNY at Fredonia.
The library is the cultural center of Westfield with one of the most dynamic library programs in Western New York. It offers extensive programming for children and teens, art gallery exhibitions and art classes, local history archives, and adult book and film discussion groups.
The Board of Trustees seeks a creative and energetic full-time library director with strong leadership ability to provide quality library service to residents of Westfield and the surrounding communities. The applicant must have a strong vision of how library services will be delivered in the future. Duties include:
- Recruiting and overseeing staff to carry out the library’s mission
- Creating and administering budgets and presenting funding requests
- Working with the village, the town and the school district to ensure continued funding
- Writing grants and raising funds
- Developing and sustaining programs and services
- Overseeing the maintenance and restoration of the historic library building
- Demonstrating strong cooperative leadership, management and communications skills, especially when working with the Board of Trustees, staff, volunteers and community agencies
- Understanding computer applications for library management
- MLS from an ALA accredited institution
- New York State Public Librarians Professional Certificate
- Successful library experience is desired
- Commitment to professional development as demonstrated by participation in continuing education opportunities
Required Personal Abilities
- Values the importance of equal access to books, information and culture in a democracy
- Thinks strategically and is well organized with the ability to schedule time effectively and meet deadlines
- Possesses both a broad vision and attention to detail
- Is resourceful, enthusiastic and flexible and has the ability to motivate others
- Treats others with honesty, empathy and respect
- Is open to creative and innovative solutions
- Communicates clearly in both written and oral form
- Listens well and seeks to understand
Salary & Benefits
Salary range is $42,000 to $52,000, commensurate with education and experience, with a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Apply online at https://indeedjobs.com/patterson-library-westfield-ny/_hl/en_US. Upload your resume and cover letter including a list of three professional references via Indeed’s website (under Apply Now).
Review of applications will commence on November 23, 2020 but applications will be
accepted until the position is filled. The successful applicant should be prepared to start the position in early 2021.
For further information contact us at PattersonLibDirectorSearch@gmail.com.