A member of the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System, the Dunkirk Public Library is located in Dunkirk, NY. The library is a school district public library and serves a population of 14,101.
Anticipated Start: February 2019
General Information: The Library Director reports to the Board of Trustees and holds primary responsibility for the operation and management of the Library. Along with regular customer service responsibilities, other duties include collection development, long range planning, program planning and management; budget management; building management; supervision of staff and volunteers; communication with Board of Trustees and the Chautauqua Cattaraugus Library System; public relations and community outreach; and grant writing.
The Dunkirk Public Library is a civil service employer and a member of the New York State Retirement System.
The Library Director is responsible for all library operations and reports to the Board of Trustees. Examples of responsibilities:
- Develops and presents an annual budget and monitors and approves expenditures.
- Oversees recruitment, hiring, supervision and development of library personnel.
- Provide leadership that creates an effective and productive working environment.
- Develops long-range plans for library service and evaluates the effectiveness of services and programs to the community.
- Provides oversight for collection development and maintenance.
- Provides the Library Board of Trustees with accurate information and context for decision-making.
- Seeks out and fosters collaborative partnerships.
- Develops policies for consideration and approval by the Library Board of Trustees.
- Prepares grant proposals, administers grant funds, and submits all necessary paperwork and reports.
- Prepares state, local, and other statistical or narrative reports as needed or required.
- Manages maintenance of library property, repairs, alterations, and new construction.
Essential skills and qualities:
- Demonstrates ethical leadership and creates an atmosphere of collaboration and open communication among staff members and in the community.
- Develops and communicates a shared vision for the library.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A thorough knowledge of current trends, technologies, and best practices for public libraries.
- The ability to build consensus, and to make difficult decisions when necessary.
- A strong commitment to public service, inclusion, diversity, and community engagement.
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and public.
Qualifications – A master’s degree (MLS, MLIS, MSLS) from an ALA accredited library school. Possess a New York State Public Librarian’s Professional Certificate. Four (4) years of professional library experience, one (1) year of which shall have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity. Public library experience is preferred. Possess a valid driver’s license or be eligible for a NYS driver’s license, as position requires some travel to seminars and workshops.
Compensation – Salary is negotiable beginning at $45,000 with benefits.
To Apply: Apply online at https://www.indeedjobs.com/dunkirk-public-libraryon or before the closing date of January 18, 2019. Upload resume & list 3 references in cover letter via Indeed’s cover letter section (under Apply Now).